It’s apple-picking season! Apple Crisp is a delicious reminder of autumn. Fresh, crisp apples with a sweet, buttery topping. And the cinnamon makes the house smell so good as this delicious dessert is baking.
Apple Crisp with Oats
For the filling:
- 8 apples cored, peeled, and cut into bite-size pieces
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/2 cup dark brown sugar
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
For the topping:
- 1 1/4 cup of all-purpose flour
- 1 cup old fashioned oats
- 3/4 cup dark brown sugar
- 3/4 cup granulated sugar
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 1 cup butter, cold, grated on large holes of box grater
- Preheat oven to 350° F.
- Place chopped apples into a large mixing bowl. Add the lemon juice and stir to coat all apple pieces with the juice.
- In a medium size mixing bowl, add the flour, cinnamon, brown and white sugars. Stir to combine. Add sugar mixture to apples and stir to coat well.
- Place prepared apple pieces into a 13-inch x 9-inch baking pan. Set aside.
- Make the topping. In the medium size mixing bowl, add all the dry ingredients for the topping (flour, oats, brown sugar, white sugar, and cinnamon) and stir until thoroughly combined. Add the cold, grated butter and mix (clean, dry fingers work best!) until the topping is crumbly and all butter is evenly dispersed. Pour topping evenly over the apples.
- Bake for 45 to 50 minutes, or until the topping is golden and the apples are bubbling. Serve warm. Store leftovers in the refrigerator and reheat before serving.
USA TODAY BESTSELLING AUTHOR DONNA FASANO is a three-time winner of the HOLT Medallion, a CataRomance Reviewers Choice Award winner for Best Single Title, a Desert Rose Golden Quill Award finalist, a Golden Heart finalist, and a two-time winner of Best Romance of the Year given by BigAl’s Books & Pals Review Blog. Her books have sold nearly 4 million copies worldwide and have been published in two dozen languages. Her books have made the Kindle Top 100 Paid List numerous times, climbing as high as #5.