I love soup on chilly winter evenings. This Sweet Potato Soup recipe is a real winner. The earthy aroma of the sage and garlic will fill your kitchen and have everyone coming in to see what’s cooking. Everyone will love the creamy, savory, and slightly sweet taste of this soup that’s filled chucks of ham and sweet potatoes.
Sweet potatoes are rich in Vitamin C and Vitamin B6, which are important for brain and nervous system health. They’re also a good source of potassium and magnesium which help regulate blood pressure and improve heart health.
Sweet Potato Soup with Ham and Leeks
- 2 teaspoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1/2 lb fully-cooked ham, cut into small dice (about 1 cup)
- 1 large leek, cleaned well and sliced thin (about 1 ½ cups)
- 3-4 sweet potatoes, peeled and cut into small cubes (about 3 cups)
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon dried sage
- 1 can chicken broth (about 14 ounces)
- 1 cup water
- 1 small can evaporated milk (about 5 ounces)
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
- Sour cream
- Thinly sliced scallions
- Put the oil in a pot and fry the ham cubes, stirring constantly, until slightly crispy on the edges (about 5 minutes). Then remove the ham from the pot.
- Add the leeks and cook until slightly wilted. Add the sweet potatoes, garlic, sage, chicken broth, water, and evaporated milk. Simmer for 15 minutes, or until the potatoes are tender.
- Place half the soup into a blender (secure the lid by placing a kitchen towel over the top to prevent splatters) and then puree until smooth. Return to the soup pot and add the ham. Then add salt and pepper to taste. Garnish each bowl with sour cream and sliced scallions. Enjoy!
~ ~ ~ ~ ~
This month I’ve reduced the price of all 3 of my Christmas books. Today, I’m featuring AN ALMOST PERFECT CHRISTMAS. It’s the story of how one little girl brings together her widower daddy and her favorite pediatric nurse.
USA TODAY BESTSELLING AUTHOR DONNA FASANO is a three-time winner of the HOLT Medallion, a CataRomance Reviewers Choice Award winner for Best Single Title, a Desert Rose Golden Quill Award finalist, a Golden Heart finalist, and a two-time winner of Best Romance of the Year given by BigAl’s Books & Pals Review Blog. Her books have sold nearly 4 million copies worldwide and have been published in two dozen languages. Her books have made the Kindle Top 100 Paid List numerous times, climbing as high as #5.