White beans are a great way to get extra protein into your diet. They’re inexpensive and easy to use; just walk down the canned food section of your favorite grocery store. Better yet, buy a bag of dried cannellini beans – also known as white kidney beans – and cook them yourself! Here’s a recipe for White Bean Dip, using canned beans, that is delicious and very easy to make.
Beans are a great source of fiber. That’s important because most of us don’t get the recommended 25 to 38 grams of fiber each day. Fiber helps keep the body regular and seems to protect against heart disease, high cholesterol, high blood pressure, and digestive illness.
White Bean Dip
Makes 2 servings ~ 277 calories per serving
- 1 (15.5 ounce) can cannellini beans, drained and rinsed
- 1/4 cup finely grated Parmesan cheese
- 4 tablespoons water
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 1 small clove garlic minced
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 teaspoon Frank’s Hot Sauce, optional
- 1 tablespoon fresh chives, minced
- In the bowl of a mini food processor, combine the beans, Parmesan cheese, water, lemon juice, garlic, salt, pepper, and hot sauce. Pulse until smooth.
- Add the chives and pulse just enough to incorporate. (Feel free to use herb of your choice: thyme, basil, parsley, etc.)
- Transfer to a serving bowl. Serve with your choice: crackers, pretzel sticks, pita wedges, and/or raw vegetables. Refrigerate any leftovers.
Have you checked out our September Featured Books Page? You should!
USA TODAY BESTSELLING AUTHOR DONNA FASANO is a three-time winner of the HOLT Medallion, a CataRomance Reviewers Choice Award winner for Best Single Title, a Desert Rose Golden Quill Award finalist, a Golden Heart finalist, and a two-time winner of Best Romance of the Year given by BigAl’s Books & Pals Review Blog. Her books have sold nearly 4 million copies worldwide and have been published in two dozen languages. Her books have made the Kindle Top 100 Paid List numerous times, climbing as high as #5.