Crumpets are light and airy pan-fried yeast bread. The holes that permeate the crumpet are perfect for capturing melted butter and jam. Toasted crumpets are a perfect addition to any breakfast table.
You will need 4 crumpet ring molds for this recipe. Recipe makes 6 crumpets, fried in batches.
- 1/2 cup Lukewarm Water, 104°F
- 1 teaspoon Active Dried Yeast
- 1 teaspoon Sugar
- 1/2 cup Milk, room temperature
- 1 cup All-Purpose Flour
- 1/2 teaspoon Salt
- 1 teaspoon Baking Powder
- 1 tablespoon Olive oil or 1 tablespoon melted Butter, for greasing the crumpet rings
- In a medium size bowl, combine water, yeast, and sugar and stir to dissolve. Allow yeast to activate for 10 minutes until it foams up a bit.
- Add the milk, flour, and salt to the bowl. Sift in the baking powder, pushing any lumps through the screen. Use a wire whisk to beat the mixture for 2 minutes, scraping down the bowl halfway through the process.
- Scrape down the bowl, cover with a clean tea towel, and place in a warm spot for 45 minutes. The doughy batter should almost double in size.
- Heat a large nonstick frying pan over medium high heat, about 375°F.
- Grease the crumpet rings. Use a pastry brush to coat the inside wall of one of the rings with olive oil or butter. Place the ring into the hot pan.
- Spoon the bubbly crumpet batter into the hot ring until it is half full. Repeat, using 2 or 3 more rings. Don’t overcrowd the pan.
- After 5 minutes, the classic crumpet bubbles will start to appear around the edges. Use a knife to pop any un-popped bubbles. Once crumpets look dry around the edges, put on an oven mitt and lift off the rings.
- When the center of the crumpets are set, carefully turn them over. Fry until golden brown. Remove from the pan and cool just a bit on a wire rack. Serve warm with butter and jam.
- Leftover crumpets can be frozen up to 3 months, or keep them in the refrigerator for up to 7 days. Cold crumpets can be toasted in a slotted toaster or in a toaster oven and then served hot.
USA TODAY BESTSELLING AUTHOR DONNA FASANO is a three-time winner of the HOLT Medallion, a CataRomance Reviewers Choice Award winner for Best Single Title, a Desert Rose Golden Quill Award finalist, a Golden Heart finalist, and a two-time winner of Best Romance of the Year given by BigAl’s Books & Pals Review Blog. Her books have sold nearly 4 million copies worldwide and have been published in two dozen languages. Her books have made the Kindle Top 100 Paid List numerous times, climbing as high as #5.