Wild rice is one of only two native grains that are commonly eaten in the United States. The firm texture and nutty flavor of its long, black grains makes wild rice stand apart from its white and brown cousins. Here’s a recipe I call Wild Rice with Mushrooms and Almonds. It’s easy enough for a casual meal and elegant enough for a special occasion.
Wild Rice with Mushrooms and Almonds
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1/2 cup onion, diced
- 2 1/2 cups wild rice
- 5 cups chicken broth
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 16 ounces mushrooms, sliced
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 2 cloves garlic, minced very fine
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1 cup slivered almonds
- 1 tablespoon fresh parsley, minced
- Heat 2 tablespoons of the butter in a large saucepot over medium heat. Add the onion and sauté until translucent, about 10 minutes. Add the rice to the pan and toast while stirring until it begins to smell nutty, about 1 minute. Add the chicken stock and bring to a boil, then reduce to a simmer. Cover and cook on low until the water is absorbed, about 40 minutes.
- While the rice is cooking, heat the remaining 1 tablespoon butter along with the oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add the mushrooms and thyme and cook, stirring often until they begin to brown, about 10 minutes. Add the garlic, season with salt and pepper. Cook until the garlic is fragrant, about 1 minute more.
- When the rice is cooked, fluff with a fork. Gently fold in the mushrooms and 3/4 cup of the almonds. Add to a serving bowl and sprinkle with the parsley and the remaining 1/4 cup of almonds before serving.
Join the Authors' Billboard Newsletter mailing list and get a newsletter filled with new releases and books on sale every Friday.
Start out your subscription with a free book!
USA TODAY BESTSELLING AUTHOR DONNA FASANO is a three-time winner of the HOLT Medallion, a CataRomance Reviewers Choice Award winner for Best Single Title, a Desert Rose Golden Quill Award finalist, a Golden Heart finalist, and a two-time winner of Best Romance of the Year given by BigAl’s Books & Pals Review Blog. Her books have sold nearly 4 million copies worldwide and have been published in two dozen languages. Her books have made the Kindle Top 100 Paid List numerous times, climbing as high as #5.