I decided to do something nice for myself this weekend, so I baked a Carrot Loaf Cake. I’m the only one who eats dessert in my house, so I didn’t want a huge cake. This loaf cake is the perfect size for a small get together (or a party of one). I hope you’ll give this recipe a try.
Carrot Loaf Cake
For the Loaf Cake:
- 1 and 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/2 cup neutral oil (vegetable, canola, sunflower)
- 2 large eggs, room temperature
- 1 cup dark brown sugar
- 1/3 cup sour cream
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 and 1/2 cups carrot, peeled and grated (3 to 4 medium carrots)
- 1/2 cup walnut pieces
- 1/2 cup coconut chips
- Optional add-in: 1/2 cup raisins or dried cranberries
For the Cream Cheese Frosting:
- 4 ounces cream cheese, room temperature
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 1 cup confectioners sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Pinch of salt
- Preheat oven to 350° F. Grease a 9-inch x 5-inch loaf pan with baking spray. Set aside.
- Whisk together the flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt, cinnamon, ginger, and nutmeg until thoroughly combined, and then set the dry ingredients aside.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together the oil, eggs, brown sugar, sour cream, and vanilla extract until thoroughly combined. Add the wet ingredients to the dry ingredients and stir just until combined. Fold in the grated carrot, nuts, coconut chips, and any optional add-ins.
- Spread the batter evenly in the loaf pan and tap the pan lightly on the counter to remove any air bubbles. Bake for 50 to 60 minutes. About half way through baking, take a look at the loaf. If it looks brown on the top, lay a piece of aluminum foil loosely over top to prevent over-browning. Ovens vary, so watch your loaf carefully. The cake is done when a wooden toothpick is inserted near the center of the loaf and comes out clean. Remove from oven and then allow to cool in the pan.
- While the loaf is cooling, make the frosting. The easiest method is to use an electric mixer. Beat together the cream cheese and the butter until combined and creamy. Add the sugar, vanilla, and salt, and then beat on low setting until smooth, creamy, and spreadable.
- Remove cake from pan and then top with frosting. The sides should remain bare.
- Store any leftovers in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 5 days.
~ ~ ~ ~ ~
This month, I am offering ROMANCE BEACH BUNDLE 2 for just 99¢. You save $7 off the regular price for while month of May.
What’s better than a day at the beach? That would be a day at the beach with a bundle of romance novels!
This offer is available for Kindle readers. Simply click here. Or click the image below.
Have you checked out the Authors Billboard free and bargain-priced books for the month of May? Click here for all the information!
USA TODAY BESTSELLING AUTHOR DONNA FASANO is a three-time winner of the HOLT Medallion, a CataRomance Reviewers Choice Award winner for Best Single Title, a Desert Rose Golden Quill Award finalist, a Golden Heart finalist, and a two-time winner of Best Romance of the Year given by BigAl’s Books & Pals Review Blog. Her books have sold nearly 4 million copies worldwide and have been published in two dozen languages. Her books have made the Kindle Top 100 Paid List numerous times, climbing as high as #5.