Around the start of the new year, many of us would have already decided how we’re going to improve ourselves and our lives. We create lists of goals we plan to achieve. But just looking at, or thinking about everything on our plates can be daunting. When we become overwhelmed, we shut down and very little gets done.
For 2022, I’ve decided to do things a little differently, starting with the fact that I didn’t do any kind of graphic to share how many books I published in 2021. If I had, I’d have been comparing it to the larger number I produced the year before and you know how that goes …
We women tend not to take good care of our mental health. Fact is, if we’re not in optimal shape, we can’t take care of others. Here are my suggestions for making life just a little easier on ourselves.
- Don’t assume a task is going to be hard to do before you get started. Worrying about it builds up a lot of anxiety that’s often a waste of time once you get started and everything flows together smoothly.
- Stop worrying about things that may never happen. Ninety-nine per cent of the issues we worry about never become reality. Don’t buy trouble. Live in the now. Even if you have challenges, remember they don’t last forever.
- Enjoy the present moment. Life is short and when we’re old and can’t do the things we used to, that’s when we’ll look back and see how much time we wasted. Time and energy used up thinking about challenges that didn’t happen cannot be restored.
- Whatever is on your heart to do, do it now. Whether it’s a course in baking bread, crocheting, or writing a memoir or novel. Today’s the right time. Just. Do. It. Visualize what you want, then chase after it as if someone is trying to take that dream away from you.
- Rest. That’s it. Get enough sleep to give your body the chance to repair itself. Our brains and bodies and will not operate at the level they’re meant to if we keep cheating on sleep.
- Read every day. Aside from learning new things, the written word (especially in the form of fiction) can take you away from your current circumstances and transport you to places you may have only heard about. Be an armchair explorer. It doesn’t cost you much.
- Nothing is as important as your peace of mind. Preserve it with everything in you. As best as you can, stay away from toxic people who suck the joy out of you. Pray. Meditate. Preserve your peace. Strive to be happy.
Go forth and enjoy your year!
For today only, my romantic suspense novel Grudge, is free to download at lrd.to/grudge
Corra Bingham is on an island vacation, recovering from a bad break-up, when she realizes she’s being stalked. Against her wishes, a determined police office, Phillip Denham, takes her under his wing. Using his skills as a detective, he races to find answers that will prevent Corra from ending up on a slab in the morgue.
Download your copy today! lrd.to/grudge
National Bestselling Author, J.L. Campbell writes in a range of genres. Campbell, who hails from Jamaica, has penned forty books. She is a certified editor, and book coach. When she’s not writing, Campbell adds to her extensive collection of photos detailing Jamaica’s flora and fauna. Visit her on the web at amazon.com/author/jlcampbell or www.joylcampbell.com