I have always loved cooking choux pastry. Making a melt-in-your-mouth éclair is so easy to do and can be done using just one saucepan.
I always had flour and eggs in my kitchen cupboards. So, it was so easy just to whip up the choux pastry for profiteroles. This was a delicious treat for my two sons when they arrived home from school. I also enjoyed a cream-filled éclair, but my waistline didn’t. So, I just had one profiterole for myself without the cream while they tucked in.
I am always fascinated as to the origins of particular cakes and pastries. On looking up the history of profiteroles, I discovered two interesting facts. The first is that many historians surmise the choux pastry per se dates back to the Italian cook Pantanelli. This particular chef worked for Queen Catherine de Medici of the late 16th century.
However, the crème puff choux pastry was perfected by a French Chef, Antonin Careme. The pastry is used for those mouth-watering Profiteroles.
One interesting point is the name of this scrumptious pastry originates from the French word ‘choux’ for cabbage because of the cream-filled puffs’ shape.
So do enjoy using this very simple recipe for delicious pastries.
RECIPE FOR CHOUX PASTRY & CHOCOLATE ECLAIRS
- 60 grams of plain flour
- 50 grams of butter
- 1/4 pint of water
- 2 beaten eggs
- Sift salt and flour together. Set aside.
- Put water into the saucepan and add butter – slowly melt these two ingredients over medium heat and then bring to the boil.
- Switch off the heat and pour the flour into the saucepan with the water and butter.
- Stir until the mixture becomes a soft ball. Cool slightly by removing from heat. Add the beaten eggs beating briskly until the mixture is firm enough to form soft peaks as you lift with a spoon.
- Shape as you wish. I used the shape for chocolate eclairs.
- Bake in over mark 6 – 7 or 400 – 425.
- When baked, pierce the pastry to release any steam.
- Coat with melted chocolate, and when hardened, fill with whipped double cream to your taste.
I DO HOPE YOU ENJOY THEM.
On sale for 99 cents! SANDS OF SEDUCTION:
Katy lives on the South coast with her husband and a loving hyper friendly dog who likes to greet and lick everyone on sight. She has a BA Hons (Psych) BA Eng.Lit. MA in Religion and Mysticism and a Hon Dr. Science for research into pain control.
She was a psychologist and hypnotherapist before changing direction for full time creative writing, Her main genres are historical romance, crime and science fiction.