Help! I’ve been bitten by a mosquito. Twice! And the red bumps that were left behind itch like the dickens! What to do? Here are some quick and easy home remedies for bug bites.
- Baking soda – Mix a bit of baking soda with water and coat the bite. Sodium bicarbonate will relieve itching. (I smeared some on my bites.)
- Toothpaste – Yes, toothpaste! Most brands of toothpaste contain menthol which alleviates itch and swelling. Toothpaste also contains astringent ingredients that draw out fluid from beneath the skin which helps with swelling.
- Basil – Mince up some fresh basil and rub it on the mosquito bites. Basil contains eugenol which relieves itchy skin. Don’t have fresh basil? Simmer some dried basil in water (as if you were making tea). Let the basil water cool, and then dip a cloth in the water and apply to the bites.
- Ice – Apply ice to the bites to help relieve itching and swelling. Only apply ice for about 10 minutes at a time. And never fall asleep with ice on your skin.
- Garlic – There are compounds in garlic that relieve itching and swelling. Place a slice of garlic and put it on the bite. This might not be the best remedy to use with children as garlic can sting.
- Aloe – Keep a bottle of aloe vera gel in your fridge. The gel will cool and help heal red, itchy skin.
Did you know you can make your own mosquito repellent? It’s easy to keep the bug bites at bay.
Homemade Insect Repellent
- 2 Tablespoons apple cider vinegar
- 2 Tablespoon rubbing alcohol
- 2 Tablespoon water
- 25 drops citronella oil
- 25 drops eucalyptus oil
- 40 drops peppermint oil
Pour all ingredients into a small spray bottle and then shake. Make sure you shake before each application.
What are your best home remedies for bug bites?
~ ~ ~ ~ ~
Did you know that Authors’ Billboard Authors have a wide selection of audiobooks available? Click here to learn more!
Join the Authors' Billboard Newsletter mailing list and get a newsletter filled with new releases and books on sale every Friday.
Start out your subscription with a free book!
USA TODAY BESTSELLING AUTHOR DONNA FASANO is a three-time winner of the HOLT Medallion, a CataRomance Reviewers Choice Award winner for Best Single Title, a Desert Rose Golden Quill Award finalist, a Golden Heart finalist, and a two-time winner of Best Romance of the Year given by BigAl’s Books & Pals Review Blog. Her books have sold nearly 4 million copies worldwide and have been published in two dozen languages. Her books have made the Kindle Top 100 Paid List numerous times, climbing as high as #5.
Great remedies Donna! I will be sure to come back to this list 🙂
You’re welcome! Thank you for stopping by, Traci!!!