Do you forget where you put your car keys? Or the name of the person you just met five minutes ago? Stay calm! It happens to all of us. As we age, our brains tend to shrink and not work as well. But there are things you can do to boost your hippocampus—the part of the brain responsible for short-term memory. Below are 5 ways to sharpen your memory.
- Learn new things—Memorize quotes. Balance your checkbook without a calculator. Take dancing or violin or piano lessons. Learn a new language. Challenging yourself will help keep your memory strong.
- Eat flavonoids—Consuming dark-colored berries, grapes, beets, dark chocolate and cocoa will improve brain function. A Harvard study showed that people who drank two cups of hot chocolate a day for a month had better memory performance than those who did not.
- Move—When you work out hard enough to break a sweat, you grow new brain cells in your hippocampus. How? Increased blood flow and a crucial protein called BDNF. Spending thirty minutes doing aerobic exercise and fifteen minutes of strength training four times a week is a great way to sharpen our memory.
- Feed your brain—DHA is a type of omega-3 fatty acid found in fish that can increase the size of your hippocampus. The trouble is, you can’t get enough from your diet. So buy a supplement. Take 1 gram of this super brain food every day.
- Decrease blood sugar and blood pressure—A recent study in the New England Journal of Medicine states that elevated blood sugar puts you at a greater risk for Alzheimer’s. And even borderline blood pressure increases your risk of stroke and makes your brain sluggish. Therefore, visiting your doctor to have your blood sugar and bloom pressure levels tested is always a great idea.
Here’s an extra tip: Stress can stimulate chemical changes in the brain that can lead to memory problems. Practicing deep breathing or other methods that calm your mind and your level of frustration will lessen stress and help you think more clearly.
I hope you enjoyed learning these 5 ways to sharpen your memory. Following these simple suggestions will help focus your mind at any age!
~ ~ ~ ~
Celebrate Christmas in July with these holiday romances, reduced to 99¢ for a limited time only.
Her Mr. Miracle (regularly $2.99) – Now just 99¢
Grown-Up Christmas List (regularly $2.99) – Now just 99¢
An Almost Perfect Christmas (regularly $3.99) – Now just 99¢
About the author: Donna Fasano is a USA Today Bestselling Author of over 40 romance and women’s fiction novels. Learn more about her at her website.
USA TODAY BESTSELLING AUTHOR DONNA FASANO is a three-time winner of the HOLT Medallion, a CataRomance Reviewers Choice Award winner for Best Single Title, a Desert Rose Golden Quill Award finalist, a Golden Heart finalist, and a two-time winner of Best Romance of the Year given by BigAl’s Books & Pals Review Blog. Her books have sold nearly 4 million copies worldwide and have been published in two dozen languages. Her books have made the Kindle Top 100 Paid List numerous times, climbing as high as #5.