If you’re like me you have oodles of friends who constantly send you lists of jokes (at least ones they think are funny), pictures of unusual “combinations” for example the offspring of a Pekinese puppy who mated with a Siamese mother cat.( and yes, the dog/cat was adorable.) I rarely pass them on. But the eleven “short stories” below hit me in a special place. The place that make us think twice about the daily happenings in our lives as we deal with others! They also made me think you might enjoy them too. Besides, as an author, I couldn’t help but think that a number of the “short stories” could be a heck of a beginning or the end of a powerful full-length story.
1. Today, I interviewed my grandmother for part of a research paper I’m working on for my Psychology class. When I asked her to define success in her own words, she said;
“Success is when you look back at your life and the memories make you smile.”
2. Today, after my 72 hour shift at the fire station, a woman ran up to me at the grocery store and gave me a hug. When I tensed up, she realized I didn’t recognize her. She let go with tears of joy in her eyes and the most sincere smile and said;
“On 9-11-2001, you carried me out of the World Trade Center .”
3. Today, after I watched my dog get run over by a car, I sat on the side of the road holding him and crying. And just before he died;
he licked the tears off my face.
4. Today at 7AM, I woke up feeling ill, but decided I needed the money, so I went into work. At 3PM I got laid off. On my drive home I got a flat tire. When I went into the trunk for the spare, it was flat too.
A man in a BMW pulled over, gave me a ride, we chatted, and then he offered me a job. I start tomorrow.
5. Today, as my father, three brothers, and two sisters stood around my mother’s hospital bed, my mother uttered her last coherent words before she died.
She simply said, “I feel so loved right now. We should have gotten together like this more often.”
6. Today, I kissed my dad on the forehead as he passed away in a small hospital bed. About 5 seconds after he passed,I realized it was the first time I had given him a kiss since I was a little boy.
7. Today, in the cutest voice, my 8-year-old daughter asked me to start recycling. I chuckled and asked, “Why?” She replied, “So you can help me save the planet.” I chuckled again and asked, “And why do you want to save the planet?”
Because that’s where I keep all my stuff,” she said.
8. Today, when I witnessed a 27-year-old breast cancer patient laughing hysterically at her 2-year-old daughter’s antics, I suddenly realized that, I need to stop complaining about my life and start celebrating it again.
9. Today, a boy in a wheelchair saw me desperately struggling on crutches with my broken leg and offered to carry my backpack and books for me. He helped me all the way across campus to my class and as he was leaving he said,
“I hope you feel better soon..”
10. Today, I was feeling down because the results of a biopsy came back malignant. When I got home, I opened an e-mail that said, “Thinking of you today. If you need me, I’m a phone call away.”
It was from a high school friend I hadn’t seen in 10 years.
11. Today, I was traveling in Kenya and I met a refugee from Zimbabwe. He said he hadn’t eaten anything in over 3 days and looked extremely skinny and unhealthy. Then my friend offered him the rest of the sandwich he was eating.
“The first thing the man said was, “We can share it.”
I am glad I have ‘you’ to send these to.
These are worth passing on…hope you enjoy them as much as I did!
If you are interested in a book that you will definitely want to pass on to fellow readers who love books that keep you reading into the night, determined to read every last word, may I recommend:
Aces Wild: Sizzling Historical Romantic Suspense
Praise For ACES
“They call him Angel, but every woman he meets sees the devil in his eyes.” J. John
“If they needed men smarter than hell and as violent as their adversaries, even the mob turned to Angel’s Avengers” Action Junkie
“She’s temptingly innocent; he is savagely sexy. Neither one plans on falling in love.” Lisa Takamiya
“When the infamous Tong leader’s family is threatened by a vicious killer, he turns to Angel’s Avengers. As the danger escalates so does the attraction between the would-be savior and the young woman he’s hired to protect.” David Adams
USA Today Best Selling author Taylor Lee writes Suspenseful Mystery Thrillers – with a heavy dose of Sexy to Sizzling HOT Romance.
In the five years that she has been writing, Taylor has written more than forty books. Her eight, series track her Special Operatives, Covert Agents, Cops, Firefighters and other iconic heroes and heroines, through the harrowing situations that make up their lives. From human trafficking rings to corrupt politicians, Taylor investigates the underbelly of society and the criminals who flourish there.
Taylor says: “From the residue in my personal blender of mixed races, cultures and world views, my characters emerge. It comforts me to know that while evil slinks in the shadows, the “good guys and gals” of the world sniff it out – and snuff it out.
My characters are arrogant alpha males and the feisty women who bring them to their knees – and vice versa… They fight hard, love hard and don’t mince words. They are dangerous men and women in dangerous times. Love, passion and ridding the world of evil? What’s not to like?