There is a major love/hate relationship that goes on with a book. I can’t speak for every author, but I do have a feeling many may relate to this.
I’m currently working on publishing book number 24. There is a vicious cycle that goes on through every book, some worse than others. It goes a little like this:
1. I’m sooooo excited to write this book! The characters and story line keep calling to me and I’ve been excited!
2. Hmm….I thought I knew how this would go, but now the words aren’t flowing.
3. Okay, I’m skipping this scene. Leaving a note to myself for round 2. Oh, here too. And here, and here and….wow, this is full of holes and notes to self…
4. OMG. WHY DID YOU DO THIS TO ME, PLOT? WHY DID YOU CHANGE IN THE MIDDLE OF THE DAMN BOOK???
5. Well, I should have seen this coming.
6. Head desk. Hair pull. Cry.
7. This book sucks. How am I going to fix it?
8. Huh…I like this. Not too bad after all.
9. More hair pulling. OMG, I am going to ruin this book, mess up this series.
10. Lots of second guessing. More revisions. More tweaks.
11. Does this plot point work? Is this too much? Is this too little?
12. Opens up adult beverage and partakes.
13. THIS will make the story better!!!!
14. On second thought….
So, I could go on, but I think you catch the drift.
With writing and publishing, for many, comes this agonizing pain of getting the story right, getting the characters the way we want them…and even then, I wonder: Will the readers love this? Is this character’s flaw too much? Too little? I know I’m not going to make everyone happy. It’s not going to happen, so I have to learn to write the story the way it calls to me.
For some reason, this this current book, I’m going through the “I-suck-itis” phase BAD. And because of that, I thought I’d write a little about it. I know that by the end, when it’s all said and done, the journey will have been worth it, but wow, during the time the feelings hit its peak, it’s quite brutal.
Until next time! Thanks for reading.
Nikki Lynn Barrett
No matter where she goes, USA Today Bestselling author Nikki Lynn Barrett hears voices in her head. Instead of calling her crazy and locking her up, her family realizes it’s just a product of being an author and allows her to write the stories so that the voices shut up.
But they don’t. And probably never will. There’s no need to lock her up, Nikki knows she’ll never escape the voices, not until each and every last story is written. And for every story she writes, about ten or more ideas pop up.
When she isn’t slaving away at her computer writing books that will probably make you cry and keep you in suspense, Nikki plots to take over the world one book at a time. What? It’s a sickness. One she can’t escape!
Books aren’t her only addiction, though. Nikki can be found making up parodies to drive her son crazy, and bantering back and forth with her husband, who somehow manages to steal her away from the fictional world she lives in all the time.
Nikki lives in Arizona with her husband and son, where she can be found using every creativity outlet she can find through music, photography, handcrafted things, and random interests that she may pick up from time to time.
If you want to learn more about the author who makes people cry for a living, check her out at www.nikkilynnbarrett.com